Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stila's Stay All Day Waterproof Eyeliner

My eyelids are probably one of the most frustrating things to work with as far as makeup. They are oily like French fries and no liner or technique has ever worked for me.

There was a multitude of drugstore pencil eyeliners that couldn't stand up to my greasy lids, so I attempted to try something high end and different formulas. I've tried Mac's Blacktrack fluidline which resulted in me looking like I had attempted the smoky look when I hadn't. Even setting it with powder didn't stop the migration. Urban Decay makes some infamous eyeliners...Perhaps you've heard of them, the 24/7 glide on pencils? Yeah, those didn't work for me either. No amount of eye priming, "waterproof"-ing or setting with eye shadow would make any liner stick to my lids. Once I even tried fluidline set with powder set with 24/7 and set with powder again, and that didn't work either. Maybe that was doomed from the start. <(_-_)> I was all ready to give up on ever lining my eyes, until one day I came across this product.

My mom has oily lids too so she is always on the hunt for a budge-proof liner. We passed by a Stila counter and saw they had two new eyeliners out: the Smudge Stick Waterproof eyeliner ($20) and the Stay All Day (also $20). Mom picked up the smudge stick for herself and the stay all day for my sister, who likes liquid eyeliners and doesn't seem to have an eyeliner migration issue. (curse her...)

I tried out both, but didn't like the smudge stick. It was very soft and applied smoothly, which was great, but the end of it was so fat there was no way I would ever get a nice thin line along my lash line. I don't think that lasted of my lids either but it works for my mom, so kudos for her.
Then there was Stay All Day...and the rest was history. The tip is very fine and a bit long. I thought it was unwieldy at first, but it just takes some getting used to. I wasn't used to using a liquid pen either and every little nick of the pen resulted in strange markings all over my lashline. The color is a rich and true black, and it dries quickly and with a bit of a glossy finish. I applied it today with no eye primer and it lasted from 9am when I put on my makeup to 4pm when I took it off with just a little smudging on my right eye. Maybe that would disqualify it from being an HG product for a bunch of people, but that's pretty impressive for me.

Overall, I really love this product and will continue to buy it as long as they make it. If you have oily lids and are looking for a good eyeliner, give this one a try. :)

Image is a screen cap taken by me (from the Sephora website) and edited using MS Paint

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite black eyeliner of all time! Those who havent tried are really missing out. My first one lasted me over 7 months! I was so impressed that I'm going to stick with this eyeliner. If you want to try waterproof colored eyeliners, I would suggest the MUFE eye seal mixing medium. Use that to mix with any loose eyeshadows and it will turn into a waterproof liner. This stuff is amazing and you will need a really good makeup remover to get it off.

    ReplyDelete