Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Goopy nail polish? Try this!


I think I definitely have a problem...

Sitting in my closet is a small handled plastic thing that has to hold my collection of nail polishes.
It's filled to the brim and is pretty heavy. There's so many polishes in various colors and finishes and no way on earth is there a way I can wear all of them all the time. My mom is always complaining that I do my nails too often, but even then, I haven't made any significant dents into any of my polishes.

As the color of the week/month lacquers my nails, what do the others in the closet do? They sit, separate and get goopy, so that the next time it's chosen it has become a thick mess that goes on messily and forces me to choose a color that's a bit more "fresh."

I'm sure you've all heard the trick of putting nail polish remover, which is acetone, into the bottle to help restore it to its original consistency. I've done this before and a few of my polishes have turned a bit darker or have started to separate when sitting for a while. (My poor "For Audrey")
It was definitely a problem until I found Beauty Secret's Nail Polish Thinner ($4 for 4 oz. at Sally Beauty Supply). This has saved the lives of countless nail polishes and there is still TONS of product in the bottle. Depending on the goopiness of the polish, I drop in several drops of this magic liquid, shake up the polish and PRESTO! Good as new. :)

If any of you are curious about the ingredients in the thinner vs. nail polish remover...
Beauty Secrets Thinner: Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Heptane
Rite Aid Nail Polish Remover: Acetone, Water, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethyl Glutarate, Dimethyl Succinate, Dimethyl Adipate, Glycerin, Gelatin, Fragrance, Denatonium Benzoate, D&C Yellow #11

Hope you guys found this helpful!

Image is a screen cap taken by me (from the Sally Beauty website) and edited with MS Paint

1 comment:

  1. Those thinners are a necessity if you have a lot of nail polishes. Some people use nail polish remover to thin their nail polish...I'm like oh noooo! that's not the way to go! I mean come on the thinners are not that expensive! If you can afford a nail polish you sure can afford a thinner. Maybe they don't know better I guess.

    ReplyDelete